Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sucking it Up for Mother Earth


I have an interesting lunch today. I bought it from Chick fil-A, and they gave me fancy ketchup! What’s so fancy about it? Well, it says “Fancy Ketchup” on the packet, so it must have a little something extra inside. Perhaps some truffle oil. There is also a picture of two tomatoes on the side of the package, which does liven it up quite a bit, I must admit.

The ketchup packet is one of those modern conveniences that I really get a kick out of. You can pick up plastic rectangular packets in almost any fast food restaurant, tear it open, and voila! A delicious tomato sauce-like substance in a wonderful shade of red comes out and revs up your food.

What I do not like about today’s lunch is the cardboard straw that came with my meal. In Chick fil-A’s defense, this was a straw supplied by my employer. You see, we have “Gone green.”

I was originally impressed and glad to hear that we were making efforts to be more sustainable. But I didn’t realize that this meant employees over the age of 50 would continue to print out every email they receive, while I am forced to suck down my delicious beverage through a cardboard tube.

It just doesn’t feel right on my tongue. You don’t get the same suction that a plastic straw creates. I doubt that one could suck just a bit of liquid into a cardboard straw, trapping it inside by placing one’s tongue on the end, moving the straw away from the cup and then shooting it into a desired target. This game provided endless minutes of entertainment to my siblings and I as children. I pity the generation that has to grow up with a childhood devoid of plastic straws.

Not to mention the fact that my soda now has a distinctly cardboard taste to it. Well, I’ve got to go. My straw is getting soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment